December 8, 2020
HOUSTON, Texas – Plunkett Research, Ltd. announces an important market research and competitive analysis report, Retail Industry Almanac, 2021 edition. A complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms.
Retail, with nearly 15 million employees in the US alone at the beginning of 2020 (about one out of 10 people in the workforce), is one of the largest industries in the world. Retail sales in the U.S. totaled an estimated $6.21 trillion during 2019, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, up about 3% for the year, and up dramatically from only $4.0 trillion during 2009.
Unfortunately, retailing was one of the industries hardest hit by the global Coronavirus pandemic. Customer traffic plummeted at most categories of retail stores with internet access shifting most consumers shopping online. As a result, while many nonessential retail outlets sit empty, ecommerce sales soared. Much of this market share that has moved to ecommerce is a permanent shift.
- Plunkett Research analyzes the top trends changing the industry, and provides in-depth industry statistics. In addition, this publication profiles the top 500 companies in the Retailing Industry.
- Printed Almanac: ISBN 978-1-62831-590-5 (Available Now)
- E-book: ISBN 978-1-62831-897-5 (Available Now)
- Plunkett Research Online (Subscribers)
Key Features Include:
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 15
Companies Profiled: 485
Geographic Focus: Global
Key Questions Answered Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
This feature-rich book covers competitive intelligence, market research and business analysis—everything you need to know about the retailing business including:
- Introduction to the Retail Industry
- The Coronavirus’ Effect on the Retail Industry
- Walmart Still Dominates the Retail Industry, but Invests in Web Presence to Battle Amazon
- Department Stores Suffer, While Today’s Consumers Demand Discounts and Convenience
- Warehouse Clubs and Discount Department Stores Battle for Market Share
- Private Label Brands Grow in Share of Total Store Sales
- Diverse Selling Techniques Boost Direct Marketers and Non-Store Sales
- Apple Sets the Bar for Showcase Stores and Super-Merchandisers
- Bricks, Clicks and Catalogs Create Synergies While Online Sales Growth Surges
- Retail Technologies and Artificial Intelligence (AI) Advance for Store Checkout and
- Robotics in Retail
- Retailers Offer Expedited Delivery to Compete with Amazon
- RFID Drives Inventory Management Evolution
- Smartphones and Financial Technology (FinTech) Enable New Mobile Payment Methods
- Self-Service Apparel Fitting Technologies Grow Online
- Retailers Look for Long-Term Growth in Emerging Markets, Including China and India
- Mall and Shopping Center Occupancy Fall as Online Sales and the Coronavirus Hurt Stores
- Entertainment-Based Retailing, including Power Towns
- Malls Remodel to Boost Sales and Attract Shoppers/Store Visitor Counts Are Disappointing
- Fast Fashion: Designers and Retailers Speed Up
- LOHAS- Socially Conscious Consumers Create Challenges and Opportunities for Advertisers and Marketers
- Plus-Size and Vanity Sizing Target Overweight Consumers
- Luxury Apparel, Accessories and Consumer Products Lines Compete for Growth
- Manhattan’s FreshDirect Sets the Pace in Grocery Sales Over the Internet/Amazon
Competes in Groceries
- Super Beauty Stores Combine Shopping with Personal Care Services
- How to Interpret Reports of Retail Sales
Retail Industry Statistics
- U.S. Retail Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
- Annual Consumer Price Index, 1950-2020, U.S.
- Exports, General Imports & Trade Balance in Goods, U.S.: 1989-2nd Quarter 2020
- Total U.S. Retail Sales & Annual Percent Change: 1992- August 2020
- U.S. Retail Trade Corporation Statistics, 2nd Quarter 2020
- Total Annual Sales of Merchant Wholesalers, U.S.: 2014-2019
- Total Monthly Sales and Inventories of Merchant Wholesalers, U.S.: January- August 2020
- Retail & Food Services Sales by Kind of Business, U.S.: Monthly, through August 2020
- Retail & Food Services Sales by Kind of Business, U.S.: 2014-2019
- Estimated Quarterly U.S. Retail Sales, Total & E-Commerce: 2nd Quarter 2010-2nd Quarter 2020
- Total U.S. Disposable Income, Expenditures & Gross Domestic & National Product Per Capita: Selected Years, 1960-2019
- Average Annual Expenditures of All Consumer Households: 2014-2019, U.S.
- Distribution of Total U.S. Annual Household Expenditures, by Major Category: 2019
- Resident Population Estimates by Age, U.S.: 2013-2019
- Employment in the Retail Industry, U.S.: 2013-August 2020
Companies Mentioned Include:
- Cabela’s Inc
- 7-Eleven Inc
- 99 Cents Only Stores LLC
- Destination XL Group Inc
- Aarons Inc
- Vans Inc
- Advance Auto Parts Inc
- Jo Ann Stores LLC
- Albertsons LLC