October 14, 2020
HOUSTON, Texas – Plunkett Research, Ltd. announces an important market research and competitive analysis report, Health Care Industry Almanac, 2021 edition. A complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms.
Health care expenditures continue to rise in the U.S. Total U.S. health care expenditures were estimated to be $4.01 trillion in 2020, and are projected to soar to $6.19 trillion in 2028. Health spending in the U.S., at about 18% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2020, is projected to grow steadily.
Outside the U.S., stark contrasts exist between health costs in the United States and those of other countries. A 2019 comprehensive study published by the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development (OECD) covering more than 30 countries, including the UK, France, Germany, Mexico, Canada, South Korea, Japan, Australia and the U.S., found the average spent on healthcare amongst those countries, was 8.8% of GDP. The highest figures in this study were the United States at 17.0% of GDP, Switzerland at 12.1%, Germany at 11.7%, France at 11.2%, Japan at 11.1%, Sweden at 10.9%, Canada at 10.8% and Norway at 10.5%.
Total health care expenditures around the world are difficult to determine, and the Coronavirus pandemic made 2020 an even more difficult year to forecast. However, $10.0 to $10.5 trillion would be a reasonable estimate for the formal, global health care market for 2020. That would place health care at roughly 12% of global GDP and about $1,400 in health spending per person on average.
- Plunkett Research analyzes the top trends changing the industry, and provides in-depth industry statistics. In addition, this publication profiles the top 500 companies in the Health Care Industry.
- Printed Almanac: ISBN 978-1-62831-585-1 (Available Now)
- E-book: ISBN 978-1-62831-891-3 (Available Now)
- Plunkett Research Online (Subscribers)
Key Features Include:
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 25
Companies Profiled: 485
Geographic Focus: Global
Key Questions Answered Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
This feature-rich book covers competitive intelligence, market research and business analysis—everything you need to know about the health care business including:
Major Trends and Technologies Affecting the Health Care Industry
- Introduction to the Health Care Industry
- The Coronavirus’ Effect on the Health Care Industry
- Continued Rise in Health Care Costs
- Employers Fight Rapidly Growing Health Care Premiums/Require Employees to Pay a Significant Share of Costs
- Medicare and Medicaid Spending Continue to Surge/More Baby Boomers Hit 65+ Years of Age
- U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA) of 2010 Rewrote the Rules and Increased Coverage, But Costs Continue to Rise
- Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and Hospital Mergers Result from the Affordable Care Act/Many Hospital Chains Grow Dramatically in Market Share
- Concierge Care/Direct Primary Care Are on the Rise/New Twists on House Calls
- Insurance Companies Change Strategies Due to Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Rapidly Rising Costs of Care
- Number of Uninsured Americans Declines But Remains High
- Health Sharing Ministries Attract Millions of Members
- New Blockbuster Drugs Come to Market/Drug Prices Soar
- Fast Track Drugs Come to Market in the U.S. with FDA Cooperation
- Generic Drugs Have Biggest Market Share By Unit Volume, but not by Total Revenue
- Coupons and Other Marketing Schemes Obscure the Retail Prices of Drugs in the U.S., Which Are Vastly Higher than Prices Paid in Other Nations
- Biotech and Orphan Drugs Create New Revenues for Drug Firms
- Quality of Care and Health Care Outcomes Data Are Available Online, Creating a New Level of Transparency
- Malpractice Suits Are Blamed for Rising Health Care Costs/Tort Reform Is Capping Awards for Damages
- Obesity Sparks Government, School and Corporate Initiatives/Snack Foods Get Healthier/Taxes on Unhealthy Foods
- Health Care Goes Offshore, Medical Tourism and Clinical Trials Continue in China, India and Elsewhere
- Retail Clinics, Urgent Care Centers and Employer Sites Increase Health Care Options/Reduce Costs
- Health Care Industry Grows Rapidly in China, India and Mexico
The Outlook for Health Care Technology:
- Health Care Technology Introduction
- RFID Helps Manage Hospital and Pharmacy Inventories
- Electronic Health Records (EHR) Digitize Patient Records at an Accelerating Pace
- Telemedicine and Remote Patient Monitoring Rely on Wireless
- Stem Cells—Multiple Sources Stem from New Technologies
- Stem Cells—Therapeutic Cloning Techniques Advance
- Stem Cells and 3D Printing—A New Era of Regenerative Medicine Takes Shape
- Health Care Robotics
- Patients’ Genetic Profiles Plummet in Price as DNA Sequencing Technologies Advance
- Advances for Cancer Patients in Chemotherapy and Radiation, Including Proton Beams and IMRT
- Better Imaging, including MRI, PET and 320-Slice CT, Creates Advances in Detection
- Artificial Intelligence (AI), Deep Learning and Machine Learning Advance into Commercial Applications, Including Health Care and Robotics
Health Care Industry Statistics
- U.S. Health Care Industry Overview
U.S. Health Care Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
Global Health Statistics, 2014-2020
Domestic & Foreign Pharmaceutical Sales, PhRMA Member Companies: 1980-2019
Employment in the Health Care Industry, U.S.: 2015-June 2020
Employment & Earnings in Health Care Practitioner & Technical Occupations, U.S.: May 2019
Employment & Earnings in Health Care Support Occupations, U.S.: May 2019
The U.S. Drug Discovery & Approval Process
U.S. FDA New Drug (NDA) and Biologic (BLA) Approvals, 2019
Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Health and Human Services, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- U.S. Health Care Expenditures & Costs
The Nation’s Health Dollar: 2020 Where It Came From (Estimated)
The Nation’s Health Dollar: 2020 Where It Went (Estimated)
National Health Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
National Health Expenditures by Type of Expenditure with Affordable Care Act Impacts, U.S.: Selected Calendar Years, 2014-2028
Hospital Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
Nursing Home Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
Home Health Care Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
Prescription Drug Expenditures, U.S.: 1996-2028
Prescription Drug Expenditures & Annual Percent Change, U.S.: 2012-2028
- Medicare & Medicaid
Medicare Enrollment, 1970-2094
Medicaid Enrollment & Expenditures for Medical Assistance Payments & Administration:
Selected Years, 1966-2027
Medicaid Enrollment and Expenditures, by Enrollment Group: Fiscal Year 2017
- U.S. Health Insurance Coverage & The Uninsured
Number & Percent of Persons of All Ages with and without Health Insurance Coverage, U.S.:
Employers’ Costs for Health Insurance, Amount & Percent of Total Compensation, U.S.:
Selected Years, 2016-2020
- U.S. Vital Statistics & Population Indicators
Life Expectancy at Age 65, U.S.
Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults, by Age, Sex and Race/Ethnicity: U.S., 2018
Companies Mentioned Include:
- Premier Inc
- 3M Company
- Agfa-Gevaert NV
- Abbott Laboratories
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
- Abiomed Inc
- Accredo Health Group Inc
- Metropolitan Health Networks Inc
- Diversicare Healthcare Services Inc
- Aetna Inc