HOUSTON, Texas – Plunkett Research, Ltd. recently announced an important market research and competitive analysis report, Plunkett’s Engineering & Research Industry Almanac, 2019 edition. A complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms.
In industrialized nations, R&D investment has risen from an average of about 1.5% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 1980 to about 2.0% today. The U.S. continues to lead the world in terms of total investment in research and development, at about $581 billion during 2019. However, it ranks behind many other industrialized nations in terms of R&D as a percent of GDP. Meanwhile, U.S. corporations continue to fund massive engineering projects and research budgets of their own. Top research investors among U.S. companies include Amazon, Alphabet (Google), Merck & Co., Pfizer, Microsoft, IBM, Johnson & Johnson and Intel. Engineering, science and research and development provide large numbers of well-paying jobs in America and around the world.
- Plunkett Research analyzes the top trends changing the industry, and provides in-depth industry statistics. In addition, this publication profiles the top 500 companies in the Engineering & Research industry.
- Printed Almanac: 978-1-62831-493-9 (Available Now)
- E-book: ISBN 978-1-62831-817-3 (Available Now)
- Online Subscription
Key Features Include:
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 22
Companies Profiled: 489
Geographic Focus: Global
Key Questions Answered Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
This feature-rich book covers competitive intelligence, market research and business analysis—everything you need to know about the engineering & research business including:
- Introduction to the Engineering & Research Industry
- A Short History of U.S. Industrial Research & Development
- R&D Expands in Chinese Research Parks/Patent Filings Soar
- Outsourcing and Offshoring of Research, Development and Engineering Grow Along With Globalization
- Original Design Manufacturing (ODM) Adds Value to Contract Electronics Manufacturing
- The State of the Biotechnology Industry Today
- From Korea to India to Singapore to China, Nations Compete Fiercely in Biotech
- Globalization and Worldwide Collaboration Fuel the Research Efforts of Major Corporations
- Number of Patent Applications Remains High/Patent Laws Change
- 3D Printing (Additive Manufacturing), Rapid Prototyping and Computer Aided Design
- Industrial Robots and Factory Automation Advance Through Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Power Research Continues/Fuel Cell Cars Enter Market
- Electric Cars and Plug-in Hybrids (PHEVs) to See Massive New Investments by Auto Makers
- Major Research and Advancements in Lithium Batteries/Tesla and Panasonic Operate the Gigafactory
- The Future: Pervasive Computing and Complete Mobility Will Be Standard
- Supercomputing Hits 143.5 Petaflops/IBM’s Watson Expands Commercial Applications for Big Data
- Superconductivity Provides Advanced Electricity Distribution Technology
- Private, Reusable Rockets Launch Commercial Satellites, Lowering Costs
- Technology Discussion—Synthetic Biology
- The Future of Transportation and Supply Chains: Massive Investments in Infrastructure, Mobility Services and Hyperloop
- HPTP Thermoplastics, Thermoset and Engineered Plastics Enable Advanced Products/Nanocomposites Offer the Ultimate in Advanced Materials
- Artificial Intelligence (AI), Deep Learning and Machine Learning Advance into Commercial Applications, Including Health Care and Robotics
Engineering & Research Industry Statistics
- Engineering & Research Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
- Quarterly Engineering & Research Industry Revenues, U.S.: 4th Quarter 2017- 3rd Quarter 2018
- Engineering & Scientific Research & Development Services: Estimated Sources of Revenue, U.S.: 2013-2017
- Federal R&D Funding by Character of Work and Facilities and Equipment, U.S.:
Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Federal R&D Budget & Distribution by Agency, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for National Defense, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Health and Human Services, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Space Flight, Research & Supporting Activities, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- NASA Budget Appropriations & Projections: 2018-2024
- Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Basic Research, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Agriculture, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Transportation, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Energy, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- U.S. Department of Energy Funding for Science & Energy Programs: 2018-2020
- U.S. National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) Budget: Fiscal Years 2017-2019
- Research Funding for Biological Sciences, U.S. National Science Foundation:
Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Research Funding for Engineering, U.S. National Science Foundation: Fiscal Years 2018-2020
- Domestic U.S. Biopharmaceutical R&D & R&D Abroad, PhRMA Member Companies: 1980-2017
- Top 30 U.S. Patent Recipient Organizations: 2017
- The U.S. Drug Discovery & Approval Process
- Employment in Engineering Occupations by Business Type, U.S.: 2015-March 2019
- Employment in Life & Physical Science Occupations by Business Type, U.S.: May 2018
Companies Mentioned Include:
- 3M COMPANY
- Adobe Systems Inc
- Agfa-Gevaert NV
- Benchmark Electronics Inc
- AB Volvo
- ABB LTD
- Abbott Laboratories
- Jaguar Land Rover Ltd
- ACTIVISION BLIZZARD INC
- Acxiom Corp