U.S. Pharmaceutical R&D Spending Versus the Number of New Molecular Entity (NME) Approvals: 1993-2016
* Beginning in 2004, these figures include new BLAs for therapeutic biologic products transferred from CBER to CDER.
Notes: The FDA defines a New Molecular Entity (NME) as a medication containing an active substance that has never before been approved for marketing in any form in the U.S. Pharmaceutical R&D Spending includes expenditures inside and outside the U.S. by U.S.-owned PhRMA member companies and R&D conducted inside and outside the U.S. by the U.S. divisions of foreign-owned PhRMA member companies. R&D performed by the foreign divisions of foreign-owned PhRMA member companies is excluded.
Source: Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association (PhRMA); U.S. Food and Drug Administration
What you are seeing is just a brief peek at a portion of this statistical table. Our system offers a massive amount of vital industry data and market research. To view more of our data, click the Free Membership button below.
Plunkett Research Online publishes vital, actionable industry information, statistics and competitive intelligence, constantly updated, including:
- ✔ 100,000 Industry Statistics
- ✔ 500 Industries Analyzed for Market Size, Profits and Forecasts
- ✔ 150,000 Industry Executives Profiled
- ✔ 25,000 Companies Profiled, Ranked and Analyzed
- ✔ 1,000 Vital Trends Analyzed, totaling 1,000,000 words
Plans and Pricing
“Your tool is very comprehensive and immensely useful... I've gotten a lot of valid information. Other than that, the exporting of data is very simple. The comprehensive material is absolutely fabulous. I am very impressed, I have to say!”
Tammy Dalton, National Account Manager